Friday, April 25, 2008

Oh Happy Day!!!!!!!

The judge ruled that the court is “satisfied” with our adoption, so in layman’s terms we now have a new member added to our family, Hannah Tatiana Sheldon! It was not an easy day, but the end result is what matters. We were in court for almost three hours, and Scott was asked most of the questions. She is a young new judge, who was very stern, and didn’t crack a smile the whole time. My mind went right back to my favorite childhood movie “Wizard of Oz”, where the four characters finally met with the wizard and he called each one of them up to talk. Scott was called first and I realized he was the tin man, sensible and brave yet a little frightened. He answered the many questions very well, and then I knew it would be my turn. As soon as I heard my name in Russian, my knees got shaky and knowing I didn’t have a tail to hold, I was ready to bolt, but I made it through the questioning without any major problems by mustering up any courage I could find. I also knew at that point many people were praying for us and that gave me the comfort I needed to continue. We are overjoyed that Hannah will soon be with us forever and the hardest part of this journey is over.

There is so much to say about our trip so far, but the best day was at the orphanage two days ago. As soon as we walked into Hannah’s room, she came running up to me and was yelling Mama, Mama! I picked her up and hugged her, and then she ran over to Scott and said Papa, Papa and he picked her up! Now it was time for Luke to meet her, and in his best Russian, Luke said, “Ya tvoi braht.” This means, “I am your brother”, and the expression on her face I really can’t put into words, but I would say she was elated. We spent the day at the orphanage and we were able to go all around the grounds and see many of the children. It was a warm sunny day, so we were able to take Luke and Hannah outside to play, and they were running around holding hands and were already communicating in their own way. There is so much that happened that day it is hard to put into perspective.

As many of you know, we asked for donations to help buy a refrigerator for Hannah’s orphanage, and not only did we have enough to buy that, but they were in desperate need of replacing some tiling, and we were able to buy that too! The director was overwhelmed with this generosity from so many people that are helping his orphanage stay open. There are 71 people who work at this orphanage, and if it is shut down they would lose their jobs. So as he said to us many times over, thank you, thank you, and thank you! We told him the donations were from our church, Luke’s school, and Scott’s work, but the true glory goes to God, who gives us the means to help those in need.

Oh, Happy Day!

7 comments:

lynn sheldon said...

I am sobbing as I write this! We are so happy and excited, I can hardly contain myself!
When can you bring her home? So glad the judge made the comment she did!But does that mean you still have to wait the 10 days?
Missy, you make every minute so real to us! Auntie Em is waiting to give all of you a hug. Uncle ??? too! He was crying along with me and just left the room in happy tears.

Karen Clark said...

Oh Missy, I am crying tears of joy for you! I have been checking your blog by the hour waiting to hear the good news. What a precious reunion between you and Hannah! It sounds like Luke is going to be an awesome big brother. Our hearts are with you.

Beth said...

Just saw the news and I'm all weepy here at work -- a little awkward in the office! Praising God with you all, and can't wait to meet Hannah!

- Rob Craig & family

Heather Brandt said...

Yay! I hope that 10 days go quickly for you and that you enjoy St. Petersburg. I would love to see the Amber Room exhibit there but doubt we will be able to visit St. Petersburg whenever we go on Trip 1 & 2 to Russia. Soon you will have your Hannah with you :)

Heather Brandt
www.russianblessings.wordpress.com

joan said...

HI!
I AM CRYING TOO WITH JOY FOR ALL OF YOU. WHAT A WISE JUDGE TO KNOW A GOOD FAMILY WHEN SHE SEES IT. I HOPE YOU GET HANNAH SOON. HAVE A GOOD VISIT WITH HER AND RUSSIA. TAKE PLENTY OF PICTURES.

LET NE KNOW IF YOU GET HOME BEFORE I LEAVE ON THE 15TH.

LOVE TO ALL OF YOU,
JOAN

Julie Kraus said...

I cannot explain how wonderful it is to hear your news. Sooooo happy for your family--God is good and he is faithful to those who wait on Him. Love you.

Sandy said...

I am singing the doxology in my head....I am overwhelmed with joy for you and look forward to seeing all of you. The kids have asked about all of you and they will rejoice as well when I tell them the news in the morning. Sleep well!!