Monday, May 5, 2008

Comfort Zone

We arrived in Voronezh safe and exhausted. I don’t sleep well on trains or planes, and when I don’t it hurts my brain. (I couldn’t help myself, I love to rhyme). Anyway, we received news on our return as to when Tatiana is coming to us. We thought tomorrow, but now it seems on Wednesday the director is bringing her here to us. Some of the paperwork for her passport is not completed, so that is the delay. I’m so pleased to hold on to the concept of expect the unexpected with this process. Yes, I do get frustrated by it all, and I believe it has kept me from getting excited. Some friends have shown their excitement, but I have this big reservoir inside of me keeping all of this at bay. I can’t let myself go there until probably we are back home in Maryland. I know once she is here with us that will recede, but for now I will stay this way and have little moments of celebration as we get closer to leaving.

Now that I am a train expert, which means nothing except I have more unanswered questions than ever before. Like, what is that terrible smell in the bathrooms on the train? Why is the heat on when its 80 degrees outside and no windows to open? Why are there so many stops and no one gets on or off? Why are you not allowed to use the bathrooms with two hours left until your destination? These are some of the few, but I have many more not suitable for this blog.

I have became very good at using bottled water to brush my teeth, wash my face, and take a short shower (short being the optimal word). Besides my water issues on trains, in Voronezh the water is turned off from noon until 5pm, and again at night from 11pm-midnight. Water has become a very important commodity for me, and one that I take advantage of at home. Dare I say, I will think of it differently once I return home or is this just a thought I have now and will let that go? We all have a comfort zone. Where we like to shop, eat, travel, and this excursion has taken me away from all of it. While we were on our own in St. Petersburg, food became another interesting event. We would ask the front desk, but for some strange reason they must think all Americans are rich and want to eat at very nice places. After sightseeing all day, we ended up at a very expensive restaurant arranged by the hotel. We were too tired to find another place, so we ate there and the food was great. Around 9 pm, the restaurant had a fabulous show with singing and dancing, but what is funny about this is we didn’t know it was going to happen. That seems to be the whole thing here; we never really know what’s going on.

Even in my feelings of fear or being unsure of the next disappointment, God is always faithful and near. Last night when reading the Bible, I ended up in Nehemiah (fancy that), and read his prayer and the fear he was facing. Below on that page were these words, “Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to a known God.” That takes the bite out of every trial!

7 comments:

joan said...

HI!

I FEEL YOUR PAIN AT THE INCONVENIENCE YOU ARE GOING THROUGH. GOD WILL HELP YOU THROUGH THIS AND LOOK AT THE REWARD. I KNOW I WOULD HAVE A PROBLEM WITH ALL OF THIS. SOMEDAY YOU WILL LOOK AT THIS AND SEE THE EXPERIENCE THIS HAS BEEN.

WE WILL PRAYING FOR ALL OF YOU AS HANNAH IS BROUGHT TO YOU. I AM SURE SHE IS HAVING SOME ANXIOUS MOMENTS TOO.

LOVE,
JOAN

Julie Kraus said...

I CAN'T wait for you to come HOME. I haven't been a very consistent commenter, but I think about you all the time. It's almost over and you will be on your way very SOON! Missy, I miss you bunches at the gym...3 TC workouts last week!!! Leslie asked about you today : ) MISS you bunches. LOVE the videos and watching Hannah look at herself. She must be so amazed with all these new things that are happening to her. She's so precious and kind of looks like you already!! God is sooooooo good!

LOTS of LOVE,

Julie K

Jodia Larsen said...

I am praying for you everyday as you continue on this journey. Oh, how sweet it will be when the plane lands in America! Hannah is His treasure and so are you. Keep your sights on Him.

Jodia Larsen

Sandy said...

Hi!

Almost there!!! We are with you in thoughts, and prayers are being lifted on your behalf. He is providing for your every need.

The kids miss all of you. On Monday, Alicia and I went on a library field trip with Emi's class. In the entrance area there is a pay phone. Alicia went over, picked it up and when I asked who was on the phone, she said: "MISSY"! So you two had a conversation and Alicia did not give me a chance to talk ;))

Tell Luke Benjamin can'st wait to see him. They also can't wait for school to be over. Spring Fever is hitting very hard!!

We will see you very soon!

Love you,

Sandy

"We live by faith, not by sight"
2 Corinthians 5:7

Miji said...

I know that you are anxious to have her and you are dissappointed that she is not already with you but remeber God is faithful and just. I am praying for you.

miji

julie said...

Hey Sis!!! I love this Blog
I have been watching ever step you have taken over there with the videos on the blog. It is amazing to watch Hannah T…Sheldon..She is so adorable. I just love her. She is beautiful and so precious. I have waited to comment to say…I am just so deeply amazed and moved by this process. I know that you have gone through so many frustrating moments but to see these moments on video and to hear your responses with Scott is just truly satisfying to my soul. I know that God has been watching and blessing this process with each moment. That in his glory you would be standing there looking at your new daughter with such amazement to the joy she is feeling. How CUTE is Luke…Luke you are such a great brother. I am so proud of you. There is just not enough that your Aunt Julie can say. I wanted to view more and more each day and now the time has come. We are waiting on a passport and that is it. I know that she will be in your arms soon for Scott, Luke and you to bring love into her life. I just keep turning to Chronicles 17:25 “My God, you have told me that you would make my family great. So, I your servant, am brave enough to pray to you. Lord, you are God, and you have promised these good things to me, your servant, You have chosen to bless my family. Let it continue before you always. Lord, you have blessed my family so it will always be blessed.” You are bless for what has been promised to you because of your commitment and giving heart God is truly blessing the entire family. I am crying inside for you..I am so happy for you and this is a joyous moment that takes my breath away. When I see her watch the video or jump. It is a wonderful experience that is blessing me and things that I have taken for granted in my own life. I love you sis. You are a wonderful MOM. Happy Mother’s Day! To a mom that is so kind and loving. You are a true mother that gives guidance, wisdom, comfort and security even when you aren’t aware of it. I am overjoyed for you both. I can’t wait to meet her. Tell her I said Hello, and that I am excited to meet her soon. I love you all. Tell Scott that he is a great Dad. I cried when I watched him with Hannah. Tell Luke I love him. Come home. Welcome to our family Hannah Sheldon. We love you.
Julie

juliejehndalton said...

HI Missy,

I enjoyed talking on the phone. I have never posted on a blog before. I don't know what I am doing. I do want you to forward me that place in KY, though! We made it home to KY after our Florida vacation. Bye for now. Julie Dalton