Saturday, May 3, 2008

Hermitage Museum

We went to the Hermitage Museum yesterday, and it was very fascinating. Each room was gorgeous! Luke saw originals of Van Gogh, Monet, Picasso, da Vinci, many others. It was funny explaining to Luke that these are the originals that the artist painted, and we showed him the paint strokes and how thick the paint was on the canvas, and then we told him how much some were probably worth. Luke couldn’t believe it! His favorite room was the Egyptian room with many sarcophagi and one mummy completely unwrapped to see the preservation of the body, and to add to all the Egyptian excitement there were ancient Roman, Greek, and Byzantine coins dating back to 500BC. What a wonderful day!

We are in countdown mode for Gotcha Day, and Luke is getting a little nervous thinking about being a big brother and having a little sister. I guess after waiting almost three years it’s hard for me to believe it’s really happening. I am also a little nervous about how she will handle all of this, and the communication is going to be very hard at first. She has never been on a train or plane, and hardly in a car, so big events will happen to her all in one day.

Tonight we board the train and will not have a connection. We hope to reconnect in Voronezh, maybe on Monday. We hope everyone is well, and we thankfully are doing good and staying healthy. Two weeks down, two to go! I’m starting to feel homesick!

5 comments:

lynn sheldon said...

These are all the things everyone is praying about, so know we are all with you everyday. We feel like we are there step by step because of your wonderful blogs and phone calls and emails. aka Grammy and Grandpa,
Lynn Sheldon

joan said...

HI!
yOUR VISIT TO THE MUSEUM SOUNDS VERY INTERESTING. THAT IS GREAT THAT ALL OF YOU ARE ENJOYING IT.
THANKS FOR INCLUDING US ON THIS TRIP. I WOULD LIKE TO PRINT THIS OUT TO START AN ALBUM FOR HANNAH BUT I AM NOT SURE I CAN.
HOPE TO HEAR FROM ALL OF YOU SOON.
HI LUKE! I HOPE YOU ARE ENJOYING YOUR TIME IN RUSSIA.

LOVE
JOAN

Karen Clark said...

We are praying these last two weeks will go by quickly and before you know it you will be home with your family. I love the little video tidbits. Seeing and hearing Nick and Galina in the background makes me want to be there even more! And Hannah looks so happy--she's beautiful. We hope to hear about our court date--the silence is killing me.
Blessings, Karen

lynn sheldon said...

We are so excited and now seeing more movies of ya'll makes us miss you three even more. It seems like she has always been ours! We sang "Whate'er my God Ordains is Right"
He never will deceive me; He leads me by the proper path, I know he will not leave me!
G&G
Lynn Sheldon

The Sooz said...

Thanks so much for your great commentary! I know this has been quite an exciting time for all of you. Unforgettable. We're looking forward to seeing how God works out all of the finishing details :0)

love
Ann for all the Wingfields